Monday, October 11, 2010

Molasses Sponge Cake











































I have a bottle of unopened Molasses which I bought last Christmas thinking to use it for gingerbread cookies but I never get round to using it. Did a quick search online and found a recipe for Molasses Sponge Cake. The recipe is simple and hence I decided to try it.

The sponge cakes turn out soft and fragrant but the texture is not as fluffy as I would like, think I did not beat the egg mixture till its fluffy enough and I deflated some of the air bubbles while folding in the flour. Well never mind, I shall try again next time since I still have a big bottle of molasses =)

Ingredients
 
2 eggs
25g caster sugar
45g molasses
1/4tsp salt
70g cake flour
15g milk
15g veg. oil
 
Method 
  1.  Preheat oven to 190C. Lined small cupcake tray with paper casing and set aside.
  2. Use a cake mixer to whisk the eggs, salt, sugar and molasses until light and fluffy. (Do the ribbon test: Use the whisk to spoon some batter, drip some into the mixing bowl. If it stay visible for a while then this is the right stage.)
  3. Shift the cake flour into the cake batter in 3 portions and fold in. 
  4. Mix milk and oil together and fold in lightly into the batter until well combined. 
  5. Spoon batter into cupcake tray until 90% full.
  6. Bake in preheated oven for 8-10mins.
  7. Remove cakes from tin and cool on a wire rack.
  8. Dust with icing powder and serve.
Note: You can replace molasses with honey, maple syrup or golden syrup.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails