Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Apple & Walnut Muffin Cake



















I wanted to do a quick and easy bake as breakfast for Hubby and decided on this Apple & Walnut Muffin recipe. Its super quick to put together and uses healthy ingredients (apple & walnut, and I substituted butter for canola oil). Well, I wanted to use up my remaining green apple (which is huge by the way) so I ended up with more apples than called for in the recipe. Too lazy to scope out individual portions, I poured all the batter into a 7" round tin.

The muffin cake doesn't look very nice (with all the apples overflowing out of the top) but never judge a book by its cover. The muffin cake is soft and very moist! I can taste apple and walnut in every bite =)


I will probably continue to double to amount of apple used and use a smaller cake tin to get a taller cake.


Ingredients

Makes 12 muffins (I did half recipe and used a 7" round tin)
2 cups all-purpose flour
¾ cup granulated sugar (I reduced to 1/4 cup for half the recipe)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon nutmeg (I omitted)
¾ cup milk
2 eggs, beaten
⅓ cup butter, melted (I used canola oil instead)
1 cup chopped apples (I used about 2 cups for half recipe)
½ cup chopped walnuts (I used about 1/2 cup for half recipe)

Method

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 12-cup muffin tin, or line with paper baking liners. 
  2. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, salt and nutmeg. In a small bowl, beat milk, eggs and butter until well blended. Stir into flour mixture just until blended. Fold in apples and walnuts. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups or liners, filling three-fourths full. 
  3. Bake 25 - 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean. Cool in pan for 2 minutes. Remove to wire rack.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails