Monday, April 11, 2011

Eggless Tiramisu

Tiramisu birthday cake for my dearest hubby



 
Before the final touch up

 

Yummy!!


I wanted to make something different for my hubby's birthday and finally decided on making Tiramisu - something which I have never done before as I have always thought that Tiramisu is really difficult to make.

I googled for "easy Tiramisu recipe" and after reading through a few sites, ultimately decided on the following recipe, which is essentially my simplified version (I'm lazy, remember?) of a mixture of various recipes. I choose an eggless recipe as I'm not comfortable consuming raw eggs.

The preparation was easy enough, except for the soaking of the sponge fingers. The first 2 sponge fingers I soaked almost disintegrated in the bowl of coffee syrup as I had soaked them abit too long (like about 4s). I got so nervous after that that I just dip my sponge fingers in and took them out in lighting speed (I think dipping for 2s yield the best result).

The resultant Tiramisu is tasty with a nice coffee aroma and not too heavy nor creamy. The most wonderful thing is that Hubby actually said "very nice" after taking just one bit. I will increase the cheese proportion the next time as I find it not cheesy enough. Other than this, I'm very happy that I managed to hit the right recipe on my maiden attempt on Tiramisu making.

Happy Birthday Hubby!!

Ingredients

Coffee Syrup
3tbsp coffee powder
1 cup boiling water

Cream Filing
250g mascarpone cheese
300ml thickened cream
3tbsp icing sugar
4-5tbsp Kahlua


20-25 sponge fingers
Cocoa powder

Method
  1. Dissolve coffee powder in water, set aside for later use.
  2. In a bowl, whisk the mascarpone cheese with icing sugar till the mixture is smooth and creamy.
  3. In another bowl, whisk the thickened cream until soft peak. Fold the thickened cream into the mascarpone mixture till well combined.
  4. Line the bottom and sides of a 6" square loose bottom pan with parchment paper.
  5. Dip each sponge finger into the coffee syrup and line the bottom of the pan with the sponge fingers. Spread a layer of the mascarpone cream mixture over the sponge finger and sprinkle cocoa powder over the top of the mascarpone cream mixture. Repeat the layering (sponge finger - mascarpone cream - cocoa powder) and top it off with a thick layer (personal preference, you can sprinkle a thin layer if you do not like too much cocoa powder) of cocoa powder on top.
  6. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours, best overnight, before serving.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails